Japanese avocado and tofu salad
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 90g soba noodles
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 courgette, peeled in ribbons or julienned
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
- black pepper
- 100g Japanese-style firm tofu (we used Morinaga), cut in 2cm cubes
- spray oil
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled in ribbons
- ¾ cup sliced beans or snow peas
- 1 avocado, in 1cm slices
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mirin (see tips)
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
Total fat 37g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 15g
1 Cook noodles following packet instructions. Add broccoli and courgette to pot 2-3 minutes before noodles are ready and cook until noodles are cooked and veges are just tender. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool. Set aside.
2 In a bowl, place cornflour and season with pepper. Add tofu pieces and toss to coat. Spray a frying pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add tofu pieces and cook, turning, for a few minutes until golden on each side. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3 In a bowl, gently combine tofu, cucumber, beans and cold noodles.
4 In a jar or bowl, combine dressing ingredients. Pour most of the dressing over the salad and gently mix. Serve salad topped with avocado and remaining dressing.
Make it vegan: Check soba noodles and white wine vinegar are vegan.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free noodles and check cornflour, tofu, soy sauce, mirin and tahini are gluten free.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.