Peanut-chicken and noodle salad
(at time of publication)
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts (300g)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 250g fine egg noodles
- 2 large carrots
- 2 cups small whole green beans
- 1 small cucumber
- 1-2 spring onions
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds or 2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons no-added-salt-or-sugar peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 1 small fresh chilli, minced or ½–1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 Pound chicken breasts between plastic until 1cm thick then coat with sesame oil and soy sauce and grill or pan-grill.
2 Place dressing ingredients into a screw-topped jar and shake until well mixed. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. Set aside to stand while preparing the remaining ingredients.
3 Bring a large pot of water to the boil then add noodles. Cook noodles until they are just done (over-done noodles will be soggy and weak) then drain. Toss with a little vegetable oil then set aside to cool.
4 Cut carrot in fine strips or matchsticks then combine with beans in a shallow pan and boil for about 1 minute. Drain. Set aside with noodles. Halve cucumber lengthways. Scoop out and discard seeds. Cut cucumber in fine strips or matchsticks. Slice onion/s and add to other vegetables.
5 Slice warm chicken breasts in 1cm-thick diagonal strips. Toss with about 1 tablespoon dressing.
6 Toss noodles, chicken, vegetables and the remaining dressing together in a large bowl. If possible, leave to stand for about 10-15 minutes then sprinkle with the lime juice and toss again. Garnish with sesame seeds and coriander if you prefer.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce and noodles.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.