Portobellos with tofu scrambleReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 500g new potatoes, cleaned
- 1 mint sprig
- 8 large flat mushrooms, wiped clean
- 6 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, sliced thickly
- olive spray oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- ¼ cup dried pitted black olives, cut in half
- 275g tofu
- 4 eggs
1 Place potatoes on to boil with a little salt and mint for 12-15 minutes until cooked. Place mushrooms and vegetables in a large dish and spray with olive oil.
2 Cook vegetables on the hot grill until lightly seared and cooked. Transfer to a flat barbecue plate, drizzle over balsamic and toss to coat. Transfer to tray above the grill plate to keep warm. Toast walnuts lightly and remove.
3 Heat a non-stick frying pan and add olive oil. Gently fry onion for a few minutes. Add olives and stir through for 1 more minute. Crumble in tofu by breaking up with hands over frying pan. Whisk eggs together with a fork and a little salt. Add to frying pan and cook lightly until mixture moulds together but is still soft.
4 Divide grilled vegetables among 4 plates, place mushrooms cap-side up and top with hot tofu scramble. Scatter over toasted walnuts and serve with potatoes.
To feed a crowd
- Double potatoes for up to 10 people.
- Allow 2 large flat mushrooms per person, plus 1 1/2 courgettes each.
- You will need about 2 tablespoons walnuts per person.
- Allow 1 tablespoon balsamic per 2 people.
- Give each person 1/4 onion, plus 1 tablespoon olives.
- Allow about 70g tofu for each person, plus 1 egg per person.
Make it gluten free: Check tofu is gluten free.
You can find dried and vacuum-sealed olives ‘Crespo brand’ in supermarkets.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 26g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information