Asian-style apple slaw with poached chicken
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 star anise
- 6 black peppercorns
- 300g (1 large) chicken breast fillet, halved horizontally
- 270g pack soba noodles
- 1 green capsicum, finely sliced
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- ⅓ cup fresh coriandercilantroX
- ½ small green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 large red apples, cut into large julienne pieces or grated
- ¼ cup chopped roasted cashews, to garnish (optional)
- Sesame dressing
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine stock, star anise and peppercorns and set over a medium heat. Add chicken, cover and bring stock to a simmer, then reduce heat and cook for 6 minutes. Allow chicken to cool in the liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook soba noodles according to packet instructions. Drain well and rinse under cold water. Drain and place into a large bowl.
- Remove chicken from liquid, reserving 1/4 cup of the poaching liquid for the dressing. Slice
chicken into pieces. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine sesame dressing ingredients with the reserved poaching liquid and whisk to combine. Pour dressing over the noodles and toss well.
- Add the chicken to the dressed noodles, along with the capsicum, spring onions, coriander, cabbage and apples. Toss to combine. Divide among 4 serving plates and garnish with roasted cashews, if desired.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free noodles and check chicken stock and soy sauce are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us