Asian-style apple slaw with poached chickenReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 star anise
- 6 black peppercorns
- 300g (1 large) chicken breast fillet, halved horizontally
- 270g pack soba noodles
- 1 green capsicum, finely sliced
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- ⅓ cup fresh coriandercilantroX
- ½ small green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 large red apples, cut into large julienne pieces or grated
- ¼ cup chopped roasted cashews, to garnish (optional)
- Sesame dressing
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine stock, star anise and peppercorns and set over a medium heat. Add chicken, cover and bring stock to a simmer, then reduce heat and cook for 6 minutes. Allow chicken to cool in the liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook soba noodles according to packet instructions. Drain well and rinse under cold water. Drain and place into a large bowl.
- Remove chicken from liquid, reserving 1/4 cup of the poaching liquid for the dressing. Slice
chicken into pieces. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine sesame dressing ingredients with the reserved poaching liquid and whisk to combine. Pour dressing over the noodles and toss well.
- Add the chicken to the dressed noodles, along with the capsicum, spring onions, coriander, cabbage and apples. Toss to combine. Divide among 4 serving plates and garnish with roasted cashews, if desired.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free noodles and check chicken stock and soy sauce are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information