Roast chicken drumsticks with quick-cook barley baked pilaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 small chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- spray oil
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- ¾ cup quick-cook barley (see tip)
- ½ cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 cups rocketarugulaX
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking dish with baking paper. In a bowl, place olive oil, chicken drumsticks, lemon zest and juice, thyme and pepper. Toss to coat. On the dish, place chicken and bake in oven for 10 minutes.
2 Spray a pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Add spring onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook for 2 minutes.
3 After chicken has cooked for 10 minutes, add barley and stock to the dish with ½ cup water. Place back into oven and cook for 10 minutes more, until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender.
4 Serve chicken and barley with rocket and tomatoes on the side.
If you cant find quick-cook barley, use regular barley, cooked, and just add at the end of chicken cooking time, omitting stock and water.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 22g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.