Som tum gai salad (paw paw salad)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chilli
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 180g skinless, boneless chicken thigh
- 200g snow peas or green beans ½ firm paw paw (see tips)
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 2 cups mesclun
- 3 spring onions, thinly angle sliced
- ¼ cup fresh Thai basil
- ¼ cup chopped roasted peanuts or cashews
Total fat 22g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 10g
1 In a small lidded jar, place garlic, chilli, fish sauce, oil, lime juice and brown sugar and shake until combined.
2 In a shallow dish, place chicken and spoon 2 teaspoons of the dressing over. Toss to coat. Set a small frying pan over a medium heat and place chicken in. Cook for 2 minutes then turn, cover and cook for a further 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice when cool enough to handle.
3 Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to the boil and add snow peas. Cook for about 1 minute then refresh in a bowl of iced water.
4 In a large bowl, place chicken. Peel skin off paw paw then, using a large grater or julienne peeler, shred the flesh. Add to bowl with remaining ingredients (reserve a few basil leaves and nuts to garnish) and dressing. Toss to combine. Transfer to serving dish.
5 Serve garnished with extra basil and nuts.
Make it gluten free: Check fish sauce is gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use soy or vegan fish sauce. Replace chicken with Sunfed Chicken Free Chicken and follow packet instructions.
An unripe paw paw is fine for this recipe.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)