Spicy bean and potato chilli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½–1 teaspoon chilli powder, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 500g carton / jar tomato passata
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 cup (approx) reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g tins red kidney beans, drained
- 2 medium waxy potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 2 chargrilled red capsicums from a jar, sliced
- 6 slices of baguette and 60g grated cheddar, to serve
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Heat the oil in a shallow flameproof casserole dish. Add the onion, carrot and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 3 min or until softened. Add the cumin, paprika, chilli powder and oregano and cook for a further 1 min. Stir in the passata, tomato paste and stock and season with black pepper. Simmer gently for 10 min, stirring occasionally.
2 Add the kidney beans, potatoes and capsicums and bring to the boil, then simmer for 12–15 min until the sauce has thickened and the potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat.
3 Preheat the grill to medium-high. Arrange the baguette slices on top of the chilli and scatter with the grated cheddar. Put the casserole dish under the grill and cook until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
Serve with a green salad.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7.6g
–Saturated fat 2.9g
Dietary fibre 8.1g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.