Stuffed eggplant with roasted tomatoes
- 2 small or 1 large eggplantaubergineX
- spray oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 250g firm tofu, chopped
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 50g crumbled feta
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses (optional)
- chopped fresh herbs, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Cut eggplant in half lengthways and score flesh in a criss-cross pattern, almost all the way through. Cut along the inside edge of each half, and scoop out flesh. Chop flesh and set aside. On an oven tray lined with baking paper, place eggplant shells. Spray with oil and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add garlic, spring onion and carrot and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add spices and chilli flakes and stir for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, black pepper, eggplant flesh and 1 cup cherry tomatoes. Stir-fry for 3-5 minutes. Add rice, tofu and soy sauce. Stir to combine and cook a further 5 minutes.
- Remove eggplant shells from the oven. Spoon vege mix into shells. If you have mix left over, eat this on the side or as leftovers. Sprinkle over feta. Place remaining tomatoes on baking tray alongside eggplants. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden, cheese has melted and tomatoes are tender.
- To serve, divide eggplants, any extra mixture and tomatoes between 2 plates, drizzle with pomegranate molasses, if using, and garnish with herbs and extra black pepper.
Make it vegan: Use a vegan cheese instead of feta.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $84. Just grab your shopping list and get dinner done!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 22g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 18g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Eggplant, aubergine recipes