Spicy peanut chicken and pumpkin stew
- 1 cup brown rice
- spray oil
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 300g chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped pumpkin
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 fresh chilli or 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 400g can no-added salt diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- ¹/³ cup peanut butter
- 1 lemon or lime, juice and zest
- 4 cups baby spinach or kale
- 3 tablespoons chopped peanuts, to garnish
- ½ cup fresh coriandercilantroX, to garnish
1 Cook rice according to packet instructions.
2 Spray a large pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add spring onions, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chicken and cook, stirring, for 4 5 minutes, until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
3 Spray pan with oil again and add pumpkin and courgette. Stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add spices, tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer.
4 In a small bowl, mix peanut butter with a little hot water to thin down. Add to stew and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken back to pan, along with spinach, lemon zest and juice, and cook until leaves are wilted.
5 Serve stew with rice, garnished with peanuts and coriander.
Make it gluten free: Check ground spices and stock are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use Sunfed Chicken Free Chicken or cubed tofu instead of the chicken breast.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 24g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us