Spicy peanut chicken and pumpkin stew
- 1 cup brown rice
- spray oil
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 300g chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped pumpkin
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 fresh chilli or 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 400g can no-added salt diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- ¹/³ cup peanut butter
- 1 lemon or lime, juice and zest
- 4 cups baby spinach or kale
- 3 tablespoons chopped peanuts, to garnish
- ½ cup fresh coriandercilantroX, to garnish
1 Cook rice according to packet instructions.
2 Spray a large pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add spring onions, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chicken and cook, stirring, for 4 5 minutes, until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
3 Spray pan with oil again and add pumpkin and courgette. Stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add spices, tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer.
4 In a small bowl, mix peanut butter with a little hot water to thin down. Add to stew and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken back to pan, along with spinach, lemon zest and juice, and cook until leaves are wilted.
5 Serve stew with rice, garnished with peanuts and coriander.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 24g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 10g
Make it gluten free: Check ground spices and stock are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use Sunfed Chicken Free Chicken or cubed tofu instead of the chicken breast.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us