Summer salad with goat’s cheese croutons
- 10 slices baguette or 3 slices grainy or sourdough bread
- oil spray
- 60g chèvre (goat’s cheese)
- 2 tablespoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups frisée (curly endive) or other lettuce leaves
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 1 telegraph cucumber, peeled in ribbons, seeds discarded
- 1 medium raw beetrootbeetsX, julienned
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- black pepper
- fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. If using large slices of bread, cut each into 4. Spray with oil and place in a baking dish. Bake for 5 minutes, until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and spread with cheese. Return to oven and bake for a further 5 minutes, until cheese is warm and slightly golden on top.
2 In a large bowl, combine vinegar and olive oil. Add frisée, celery and cucumber, stirring to coat leaves.
3 Add beetroot to salad and gently combine. Avoid overmixing.
4 To serve, divide salad between 2 plates, sprinkled with walnuts, cranberries and black pepper. Top warm toast croutons with thyme sprigs and sprinkle over salad.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 25g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 8g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread.
Make it low FODMAP: Use wheat or spelt sourdough, canned beetroot instead of fresh, and reduce celery to half a stalk.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $85. Just grab your shopping list and get dinner done!
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us