Summer vegetable and chicken jar salad
- ¼ ripe avocado
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 tablespoons low-fat yoghurt
- ¼ cup basil or mint leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup wholegrain couscous
- 1 baby cos lettuce, torn roughly
- ¼ cup torn fresh mint or basil leaves
- 50g lean cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, chargrilled
- 1 sundried tomato, finely chopped
- 1 radish, thinly sliced
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- ½ carrot, julienned or peeled using a vegetable peeler
- ⅓ cup edamame beans
1 Combine all dressing ingredients, except the fresh herbs, in a blender until smooth, adding a little water for a runnier consistency. Stir in mint or basil and season with pepper.
2 Place the couscous in a bowl and pour over 1/2 cup water, cover and leave for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
3 Place half the dressing in the base of a jar. Add a layer of lettuce and then layer the remaining ingredients as you like, placing the couscous layer in the centre. Top with remaining dressing.
4 Press down lightly. Cover with a lid and chill until serving.
This layered salad can be kept in the fridge overnight.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 23g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like