Summer vegetable and chicken jar salad
(at time of publication)
- ¼ ripe avocado
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 tablespoons low-fat yoghurt
- ¼ cup basil or mint leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup wholegrain couscous
- 1 baby cos lettuce, torn roughly
- ¼ cup torn fresh mint or basil leaves
- 50g lean cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, chargrilled
- 1 sundried tomato, finely chopped
- 1 radish, thinly sliced
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- ½ carrot, julienned or peeled using a vegetable peeler
- ⅓ cup edamame beans
1 Combine all dressing ingredients, except the fresh herbs, in a blender until smooth, adding a little water for a runnier consistency. Stir in mint or basil and season with pepper.
2 Place the couscous in a bowl and pour over 1/2 cup water, cover and leave for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
3 Place half the dressing in the base of a jar. Add a layer of lettuce and then layer the remaining ingredients as you like, placing the couscous layer in the centre. Top with remaining dressing.
4 Press down lightly. Cover with a lid and chill until serving.
This layered salad can be kept in the fridge overnight.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 23g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information