Summer vegetable strudel with nutty rainbow slaw
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- 8 spears asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups cottage cheese
- 50g feta, crumbled
- 75g parmesan, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 50g chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2–3 tablespoons lightly dried parsley (we used Gourmet Garden) or chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- oil spray
- Nutty rainbow slaw
- ½ red cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, grated
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced or grated
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts and almonds
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons stir-through Italian herb paste (we used Gourmet Garden)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- black pepper
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium. Add onion and cook until softened. Add spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain off any liquid. Add asparagus and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Set to one side to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 190°C. In a large bowl, combine cheeses with nutmeg, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley and egg. Stir in spinach mix.
- On a lightly greased baking tray place 2 sheets of filo pastry and spray with oil. Repeat with the remaining sheets to form a stack.
- Spoon the cheese and spinach filling along one long side of filo, leaving a 3cm border. Turn in the pastry sides and roll up to fully enclose filling, forming a log shape. Spray with a little oil. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare slaw by mixing remaining ingredients together. Season with pepper. Chill until serving.
- Slice strudel and serve with slaw on the side.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 22g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 8g
You can use fresh or frozen filo pastry, but fresh seems to prevent any wastage of sheets and is easier to handle.
If you can’t find Italian herb paste, use a mix of chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme.
Serve the strudel on the day it is made.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us