Time to make: 1 hr 5 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- 200g skinless boneless chicken thighs, sliced, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 300ml liquid salt-reduced chicken stock
- 10 small (90-100g each) coloured capsicums (we used Little Sweeties)
- 300g baby spinach, to serve
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 6g
1 Preheat oven to 185°C. Heat a frying pan and add half the oil. Gently fry onion for 1-2 minutes. Add rice and stir while cooking for 2 more minutes. Add tomatoes, chicken, spice, salt and half of the stock. Bring to the boil, cover, then turn down to simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid has absorbed.
2 Remove filling from heat and uncover to allow mixture to cool. To prepare capsicums cut tops off and set aside. Use a teaspoon to hollow out capsicum and remove membrane and seeds. Discard.
3 Fill capsicums with rice mixture until almost full — leaving room at top for rice to expand. Cover with capsicum top and lay them snuggly in an ovenproof frying pan or dish.
4 Pour over the remaining oil and stock. Cover and cook for 45 minutes in a hot oven (capsicums will look a little puffed and filling will have expanded).
5 Serve on a bed of spinach with a little of the cooking juices drizzled over.
- For a more authentic Turkish flavour, add 2 tablespoons pine nuts while frying onions in step 1 then add 2 tablespoons currants. One tablespoon chopped fresh mint is also a great addition to the filling.
- Substitute 6 x large (150g) capsicums or 6 x long banana capsicums for small capsicums.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock.