Asian-style poached chicken salad
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 500g skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 3 cups hot water
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3-4 thin slices fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, washed
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 iceburg lettuce, shredded
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh coriandercilantroX, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch (about 10-20g) mint, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted, roasted peanuts or cashews
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons poaching liquid
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1/2–1 teaspoon minced red chilli
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 2g
1 Place chicken in a large non-stick pan with water, lime leaves, lemon, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Heat until boiling then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 12 minutes, turning chicken once after about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and leave chicken to stand (in the liquid) until cool enough to handle.
2 Lift cooled chicken from poaching liquid (reserve about 3 tablespoons of liquid) and shred finely. Transfer to a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of the liquid.
3 Julienne unpeeled apple then place in a large bowl and add lime or lemon juice. Toss together to prevent browning. Add vegetables, herbs and chicken. Toss gently to combine.
4 To make dressing, place ingredients in a small screw-topped jar and shake to combine. Pour dressing over salad and toss gently again. Garnish with nuts then serve immediately.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of soy sauce, fish sauce and minced chilli.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us