Asian-style poached chicken salad
(at time of publication)
- 500g skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 3 cups hot water
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3-4 thin slices fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, washed
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- ½ iceburg lettuce, shredded
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh coriandercilantroX, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch (about 10-20g) mint, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chopped unsalted, roasted peanuts or cashews
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons poaching liquid
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- ½–1 teaspoon minced red chilli
1 Place chicken in a large non-stick pan with water, lime leaves, lemon, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Heat until boiling then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 12 minutes, turning chicken once after about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and leave chicken to stand (in the liquid) until cool enough to handle.
2 Lift cooled chicken from poaching liquid (reserve about 3 tablespoons of liquid) and shred finely. Transfer to a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of the liquid.
3 Julienne unpeeled apple then place in a large bowl and add lime or lemon juice. Toss together to prevent browning. Add vegetables, herbs and chicken. Toss gently to combine.
4 To make dressing, place ingredients in a small screw-topped jar and shake to combine. Pour dressing over salad and toss gently again. Garnish with nuts then serve immediately.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 2g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of soy sauce, fish sauce and minced chilli.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us