Beef and broccoli pasta bake
- 1 medium capsicum
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400g lean beef mince
- 600g vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 250g wholemeal penne
- 2 cups broccoli florets or 1 bunch broccolini, chopped
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan, plus 2 tablespoons shaved parmesan, to serve
- 3 cups mixed salad leaves
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved, sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Thinly slice half the capsicum. Set aside for salad. Finely chop remaining half. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over high. Sauté onion, garlic and chopped capsicum, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add beef and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add all tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until sauce thickens and tomatoes break down.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling water, cook pasta until al dente. Add broccoli for last minute of cooking time. Drain. Stir pasta and broccoli into tomato sauce. Lightly grease an 8-cup-capacity baking dish. Add pasta-broccoli mixture.
- Preheat grill. Sprinkle pasta bake with grated parmesan. Grill for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is golden.
- Meanwhile, combine salad ingredients with shaved parmesan and vinegar. Serve pasta with salad.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like