Beef osso bucco
- 1.2kg beef shank (bone in), cut into 6 pieces (see tip)
- ⅓ cup plain flourall purpose flourX
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 x 400g cans no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-salt beef stock
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup instant polenta
- ⅓ cup finely grated parmesan
- 4 cups trimmed green beans
- 4 cups baby spinach
- Lightly coat beef in flour. Heat oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over a medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned on both sides. Remove from dish and set aside.
- Add garlic, celery and carrots to dish. Cook, stirring, until celery and carrots soften. Add wine and bring to the boil. Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes, stock and thyme. Bring to the boil.
- Return reserved beef to dish. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover dish and simmer for a further 30 minutes, or until beef starts to fall off the bone.
- Remove beef from dish and cover to keep warm. Bring sauce to the boil then simmer for about 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan bring water to the boil. Add polenta in a thin stream and whisk until smooth. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thick. Stir in parmesan.
- In a saucepan of boiling water blanch beans for 2 minutes, or until just tender. Drain.
- Top polenta with beef and sauce. Serve with beans and spinach.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and check tomato paste and stock are gluten free.
Beef shanks can be purchased from most butchers.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like