Chicken, silver beet and lemon soup with sumac toast ribbons
(at time of publication)
- 25cm wheatmeal Lebanese bread, split in 2 rounds
- spray oil
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 4 large stems silver beet
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 x 5cm strips zest of lemon, cut in thin strips
- 3 cups liquid no-added-salt chicken stock
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 x 200g chicken breast fillets, halved horizontally, sliced in thin strips
- 2 large courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, cut in long thin strips
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. To make sumac toast ribbons, spray bread rounds with oil and sprinkle with sumac. Roll up rounds and slice thinly. Unroll ribbons and place on prepared baking tray. Bake for 3 minutes or until ribbons are lightly browned and crisp.
2 Meanwhile, separate silver beet leaves from stalks and set aside. Chop leaves roughly and slice stalks in thin strips.
3 Place a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add olive oil and heat. Add sliced silver beet stalks, leek, garlic, oregano and lemon zest to pan. Cook mixture for 3 minutes or until soft and fragrant.
4 Add chicken stock to pan with boiling water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add chicken to pan. Simmer for 5 more minutes or until chicken is just cooked. Add reserved silver beet leaves with courgettes. Simmer for 2 minutes or until courgettes are tender.
5 Season soup with freshly ground black pepper and stir in lemon juice. Serve soup immediately
with sumac toast ribbons.
- Make it low FODMAP: Use the dark green leaves of the leek instead of the white bulb. Replace the garlic with 1 tablespoon of garlic infused oil. Use gluten-free flat bread and choose a low-FODMAP stock that does not include onion or garlic.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flat bread and check sumac and stock are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.