Fragrant lamb and prune crockpot
- 450g lean lamb leg steaks, cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- coarsely ground black pepper, to season
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-7 sprigs rosemary, leaves only
- 4 teaspoons juniper berries, roughly crushed
- 1 cup prunes
- 3 parsnips, peeled, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled, diced or grated
- 1 orange kumarasweet-potatoX, diced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1½ cups reduced-salt vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- boiling water
- To serve
- 4 cups mashed potato
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 In a freezer bag, place lamb, garlic, ginger, pepper and half of the oil, half of the rosemary and half of the juniper berries.
2 In a second freezer bag, place prunes, veges, barley and remaining rosemary and oil.
3 In a third small freezer bag, place stock, vinegar and remaining juniper berries.
4 Seal each bag, shake to combine ingredients, flatten to remove air, and clearly label. Place flat in the freezer together.
5 Two hours before cooking, remove all bags from freezer. Preheat slow cooker for 5 minutes on low. Empty in contents of the freezer bags – meat first, then veges then sauce. Add salt and 2 cups boiling water. Use a large spoon to break up ingredients a little.
6 Cover and cook for 7-8 hours. Adjust seasoning. Serve with mashed potato and parsley.
Make it gluten free: Use brown rice instead of barley and check stock is gluten free.
Handy hints for slow-cooker freezer bags
Make sure you use proper freezer bags.
- Remove all air from the bags once they are filled.
- Label each bag clearly including the date of freezing.
- Freeze recipe bags in a group together.
- Keep bags as flat as possible when freezing.
- Remove bags from the freezer at least two hours before placing in the slow cooker. Or remove the bags from the freezer the night before, store in the fridge and reduce the amount of boiling water added to them by half.
- Preheat slow cooker before adding the bag contents.
- Always add meat portion to the cooker first.
- Always add liquid bag last.
- Add boiling water to the cooker as the last ingredient when stated in a recipe.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 17g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us