Lamb and barley soupReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- spray oil
- 400g lean lamb leg steaks, cut in chunks
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup pearl barley
- 5 cups diced root vegetables: potatoes, parsnip and swede
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 cups hot liquid salt-reduced lamb or vegetable stock made with 3 teaspoons salt-reduced stock powder and 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
1 Heat a non-stick pan with oil and add lamb. Cook until evenly browned.
2 Add onion and barley with a little more oil spray and cook for a few more minutes. Add root vegetables and cook for 2 more minutes.
3 Add Worcestershire sauce, stock and thyme. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
4 When cooked use a blender or stick blender to purée half mixture or leave unprocessed for a chunkier soup. Stir back into the rest of the soup. Add peas and heat through.
Serve with crusty bread.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free Worcestershire sauce and stock. Use rice instead of barley.
This recipe freezes well.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information