Lamb and barley soup
- oil spray
- 400g lean lamb leg steaks, cut in chunks
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup pearl barley
- 5 cups diced root vegetables: potatoes, parsnip and swede
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 cups hot liquid salt-reduced lamb or vegetable stock made with 3 teaspoons salt-reduced stock powder and 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
1 Heat a non-stick pan with oil and add lamb. Cook until evenly browned.
2 Add onion and barley with a little more oil spray and cook for a few more minutes. Add root vegetables and cook for 2 more minutes.
3 Add Worcestershire sauce, stock and thyme. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
4 When cooked use a blender or stick blender to purée half mixture or leave unprocessed for a chunkier soup. Stir back into the rest of the soup. Add peas and heat through.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 8g
Serve with crusty bread.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free Worcestershire sauce and stock. Use rice instead of barley.
This recipe freezes well.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us