Light-as-air sponge cake
Time to make: 25 mins
( Hands-on time: 5 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- oil spray
- 3 room temperature eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups reduced-fat Greek-style yoghurt, to serve (we used Anchor Protein+)
- 1 1/2 cups mixed berries*
- sifted icingfrostingX sugar, to dust
Total fat 2g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 20cm cake tin with oil and line with baking paper.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites with an electric beater until soft peaks form. Add sugar and beat again to combine. Beat in egg yolks. Carefully fold in the flours and baking powder.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cake starts to shrink away from the edges of the tin.
- Remove cake from oven and leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes. Run a knife between the cake and the tin, then turn the sponge out onto a wire rack. When completely cool, pour over yoghurt and place berries on top. Dust with icing sugar. Slice and divide among plates.
*Passionfruit pulp also makes a tasty topping.
- Tips for a great sponge
- Overcooking will dry the sponge out
- Egg whites beat best when the weather isn’t humid
- Fold ingredients until just combined. Don’t over mix or you’ll knock the air out and the surface will crack on baking.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us