Meatballs with kumara ‘spaghetti’
- 300g lean beef mince
- ½ cup wholegrain breadcrumbs
- 1 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and coriandercilantroX
- 1 tablespoon each Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce
- 400g can no-added-salt tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 cup diced red capsicum
- 2 large orange kumarasweet-potatoX, spiralised to make noodles
- ¾ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
1 Preheat oven to 200ºC or set barbecue on a medium heat with lid down. Line 4 shallow bowls with a double layer of tin foil (approximately 30cm x 40cm).
2 In a large bowl, place mince, breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, carrot, soy sauce, garlic, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and spices and mix well. Using your hands, roll spoonfuls of mixture into balls.
3 In a bowl, add tomatoes, passata, chilli flakes and capsicum and combine. Divide kumara noodles among foil packets and pour over tomato mix. Divide meatballs among packets, sprinkle over cheese and crimp to seal.
4 Place into oven or barbecue and close lid and cook for 20-25 minutes until kumara is tender and meatballs are cooked through. Serve garnished with parsley leaves.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs and check sauces, ground spices, mustard and passata are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.