Mexican black beans with spicy avocado and grilled tortillaReviewed by our expert panel
- 500g rump steak, fat trimmed, chopped in chunks
- cooking spray oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, diced
- 1 small courgette, trimmed, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning, plus extra ¼ teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, drained, rinsed
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- ½ firm ripe avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- squeeze lemon juice (optional)
- 4 wholemeal tortillas, plain, grilled
- Mince the beef. Spray a large saucepan with oil and set over a high heat. Brown mince and set aside.
- Spray saucepan again with oil and set over a medium heat. Add onion, carrot and courgette. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and Mexican seasoning. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cooked mince, black beans, tomatoes and water to saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until mixture is thick.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl combine extra Mexican seasoning, avocado and coriander. Add lemon juice (if desired).
- Place 1 grilled tortilla on each serving plate. Top with bean mixture and spicy avocado. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 17g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information