Mexican black beans with spicy avocado and grilled tortilla
- Kenwood Mincer
- 500g rump steak, fat trimmed, chopped in chunks
- Dot’s Cooking Oil Spray
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, diced
- 1 small courgette, trimmed, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning, plus extra ¼ teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons Delmaine Tomato Paste
- 2 x 400g cans Delmaine Black Beans, drained, rinsed
- 400g can Delmaine Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- ½ firm ripe NZ Avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped Palmers Fresh CorianderCilantroX
- squeeze lemon juice (optional)
- 4 wholemeal tortillas, plain, grilled
- Mince the beef. Spray a large saucepan with oil and set over a high heat. Brown mince and set aside.
- Spray saucepan again with oil and set over a medium heat. Add onion, carrot and courgette. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and Mexican seasoning. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cooked mince, black beans, tomatoes and water to saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until mixture is thick.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl combine extra Mexican seasoning, avocado and coriander. Add lemon juice (if desired).
- Place 1 grilled tortilla on each serving plate. Top with bean mixture and spicy avocado. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 17g
This recipe is proudly sponsored by Mastercraft, Countdown, Dot’s, Delmaine, Kenwood, NZ Avocado and Palmers.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us