Mini moussakasReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat spread
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250g potatoes, peeled, cut in 1cm cubes
- 400g lean beef mince
- 400g can chopped Italian tomatoes*
- 2 medium (650g) eggplantaubergineXs, halved lengthways
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese*
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it's wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. To make white sauce, melt spread in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add flour and stir until well combined and mixture begins to bubble. Remove from heat and slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Return to heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Set aside.
2 Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and potatoes. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add mince and cook for 8 minutes, stirring, until mince is brown. Add tomatoes.
3 Using a spoon, scoop flesh from eggplants, leaving a 1.5cm-thick shell. Roughly chop eggplant flesh and add to mince mixture. Cook for 3 minutes or until eggplant is soft.
4 Place eggplant shells in an ovenproof dish. Spoon mince mixture into eggplant. Spoon white sauce over mince and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until top is golden. Serve immediately with salad or vegetables.
Make it vegetarian: Swap the mince with 400g cubed, firm tofu.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information