Parsnip and mustard soup with parmesan crisps
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
3 parsnips, unpeeled, cut into 2cm pieces
3 cups 2cm-cubed Desiree potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
2 reduced-salt vegetable stock cubes, crumbled
1 cup trim milk
2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard, or to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
4 slices toasted wholegrain bread, to serve
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 11g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Boil 1 litre of water in the kettle.
- Place parsnips and potatoes in a microwave safe bowl with 1/2 cup cold water. Cover and cook on high for 12 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan heat olive oil over a medium-high heat. Gently fry onion for 3 minutes, or until soft. Add stock cubes, milk, mustard and 1 litre boiling water. Bring mixture to the boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- On the prepared tray place 4 heaped tablespoons parmesan, about 5cm apart. Flatten slightly. Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese turns golden. Set aside to slightly cool on tray.
- Add parsnip and potato to milk mixture. Blend soup with a stick blender, until smooth. Return to the boil, if needed. Divide soup among 4 serving bowls, garnish with chives and serve with parmesan crisps and toast.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check mustard and stock are gluten free.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us