Persian beef skewers with chopped tomato and mint salad
(at time of publication)
- ¼ cup low-fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon sumac, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 500g rump steak, trimmed, cut into cubes
- olive oil spray
- 8 short bamboo skewers
- 2 medium red capsicums, seeded, cut into 2cm pieces
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, trimmed, chopped
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- lemon wedges, to serve
1 Combine yoghurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, turmeric, sumac and garlic in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Add beef and stir to coat. Cover and set aside to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Soak wooden skewers in cold water for 20 minutes.
2 Drain beef of excess marinade. Thread beef and capsicum alternately on prepared skewers. Heat a chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate to a medium-high heat. Spray skewers with olive oil and grill for 5-6 minutes, turning, or until cooked to your liking.
3 Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, cucumber, cannellini beans, mint and remaining lemon juice in a large salad bowl. Season with pepper.
4 Sprinkle skewers with extra sumac and serve with the chopped salad. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Make it gluten free: Check spices are gluten free.
- For those who need more energy, serve with a wholemeal pita bread (gluten free if necessary).
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information