Persian beef skewers with chopped tomato and mint salad
(at time of publication)
- ¼ cup low-fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon sumac, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 500g rump steak, trimmed, cut into cubes
- olive oil spray
- 8 short bamboo skewers
- 2 medium red capsicums, seeded, cut into 2cm pieces
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, trimmed, chopped
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- lemon wedges, to serve
1 Combine yoghurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, turmeric, sumac and garlic in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Add beef and stir to coat. Cover and set aside to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Soak wooden skewers in cold water for 20 minutes.
2 Drain beef of excess marinade. Thread beef and capsicum alternately on prepared skewers. Heat a chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate to a medium-high heat. Spray skewers with olive oil and grill for 5-6 minutes, turning, or until cooked to your liking.
3 Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, cucumber, cannellini beans, mint and remaining lemon juice in a large salad bowl. Season with pepper.
4 Sprinkle skewers with extra sumac and serve with the chopped salad. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Make it gluten free: Check spices are gluten free.
- For those who need more energy, serve with a wholemeal pita bread (gluten free if necessary).
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us