Quinoa bowl with grilled chicken, black beans and avocado
(at time of publication)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ cup (60ml) lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 small (400g total) chicken tenderloins
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed (can be frozen or fresh)
- 400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved or 2 tomatoes, diced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- Combine zest, paprika, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the lime juice and 2 teaspoons olive oil in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Add chicken and turn to coat. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Place quinoa and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 12–15 minutes, or until water is absorbed and quinoa is al dente.
- Meanwhile, steam, boil or microwave green beans for 2–3 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- Heat a large chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate over medium-high heat. Drain chicken of excess marinade and grill for 3-4 minutes each side, or until cooked through.
- Divide quinoa between 4 bowls. Top each with black beans, green beans, tomatoes, avocado and 2 chicken tenderloins.
- Whisk together remaining lime juice, olive oil and maple syrup. Drizzle dressing over each quinoa bowl and serve.
If you can’t find limes, use lemons instead.
Make it gluten free: Check paprika is gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use tofu instead of chicken, and use maple syrup instead of honey.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.