Salmon and kumara cakes with cucumber and avocado salad
(at time of publication)
- 400g kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, cut in 3cm pieces
- 2 x 105g cans salmon in spring water, drained
- ½ cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon zest of lemon
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium Lebanese cucumbers, peeled in long thin ribbons
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red onion
- ½ medium avocado, sliced in long wedges
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups salad greens, to serve
- ½ cup low-fat plain yoghurt, to serve
- lemon wedges, to serve
1 Boil or steam kumara for 8 minutes, or until just tender; drain and let moisture evaporate. Mash kumara with salmon until almost smooth. Mix breadcrumbs, lemon zest, egg and chives into bowl. Wet hands to form mixture into 4 large patties. (Mixture should be quite soft.)
2 Set a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and cook patties for 3-4 minutes per side, or until cakes are firm, golden and cooked through.
3 Meanwhile, combine cucumber, onion, avocado and lemon juice in a medium bowl to make salad.
4 Serve salmon and sweet potato cakes with a dollop of yoghurt, salad and lemon wedges.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.