Salmon and kumara cakes with cucumber and avocado salad
(at time of publication)
- 400g kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, cut in 3cm pieces
- 2 x 105g cans salmon in spring water, drained
- ½ cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium Lebanese cucumbers, peeled in long thin ribbons
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red onion
- ½ medium avocado, sliced in long wedges
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups salad greens, to serve
- ½ cup low-fat natural yoghurt, to serve
- lemon wedges, to serve
1 Boil or steam kumara for 8 minutes, or until just tender; drain and let moisture evaporate. Mash kumara with salmon until almost smooth. Mix breadcrumbs, lemon zest, egg and chives into bowl. Wet hands to form mixture into 4 large patties. (Mixture should be quite soft.)
2 Set a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and cook patties for 3-4 minutes per side, or until cakes are firm, golden and cooked through.
3 Meanwhile, combine cucumber, onion, avocado and lemon juice in a medium bowl to make salad.
4 Serve salmon and sweet potato cakes with a dollop of yoghurt, salad and lemon wedges.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us