Sausage, spinach and white bean casserole
Time to make: 8 hrs 15 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200g Freedom Farms pork and fennel sausage, cut in 2-3cm slices
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery stalks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs or Moroccan seasoning (see tip)
- 1 1/4 cups dried white beans, rinsed
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups finely chopped baby spinach or silver beet
- To serve
- 3 cups cooked couscous
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves (if using Italian herbs) or chopped fresh coriandercilantroX (if using Moroccan seasoning)
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 20g
- Preheat slow cooker on high.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and fennel seeds and cook, stirring frequently until lightly browned. Add onion, garlic, tomato paste, carrots, celery, bay leaves and herbs. Cook, stirring, for another 2-3 minutes.
- Place in slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients except spinach.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, stir through spinach. Serve casserole garnished with parsley or coriander, on top of couscous.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free couscous and check tomato paste and seasoning are gluten free.
The flavour of this dish transforms depending on which seasoning and herbs you choose.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us