Smoked fish cakes with kumara chips and crunchy salad
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 medium kumarasweet-potatoX, cut in wedges
- spray oil
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots (1 grated, 1 peeled in ribbons)
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 lemon, zest and juice, plus extra to squeeze
- ½ cup fresh wholegrain breadcrumbs (see tips)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- 80g smoked fish, flaked
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 small bulb fennel, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon low-fat plain yoghurt
Total fat 18g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 11g
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place kumara on tray and spray with oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
2 Spray a frying pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Add spring onion, garlic and the grated carrot. Stir-fry for 5 minutes, until softened. Transfer to a large bowl.
3 To the stir-fried veges, add paprika, lemon zest and half of the juice. Then add breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, half of the mustard, half of the parsley and a good grind of pepper. Stir well to combine. Add smoked fish and gently mix, keeping some larger flakes of fish intact.
4 Shape mixture into cakes, about palm-sized.
5 Spray pan again with oil and cook fish cakes, gently turning, for 5-8 minutes, until golden.
6 In a bowl, combine spinach, carrot ribbons and fennel. In a cup, combine remaining lemon juice, remaining mustard and olive oil and dress salad. Serve fish cakes with wedges and salad on the side. Squeeze over extra lemon, season with pepper and garnish with remaining parsley.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs. Check paprika, mayonnaise and mustard are gluten free.
To make breadcrumbs, blend wholegrain bread for a few seconds in a processor or use the small chopper attachment on your stick blender.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Rate this recipe
1 People Rated This Recipe
- (5 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us