Spicy sausage stew with vege mash
(at time of publication)
- 2 medium agria potatoes, cut into chunks (see tips)
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- ½ cup trim milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- spray oil
- 2 spicy sausages, eg, boerworst or fresh chorizo, chopped in chunks
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red lentils
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- ½ cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- 8 kalettes or Brussels sprouts, quartered
- fresh parsley or thyme, to garnish
- chilli flakes, to garnish (optional)
1 In a saucepan, place potatoes and carrots and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain well. Mash, adding milk, oil and seasoning, to taste. Set aside and keep warm.
2 Spray a frying pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add sausages, onions and garlic and cook until sausages are browned. Add lentils, wine, if using, stock, paprika and 1 cup water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until lentils are soft. Add extra water, as needed. Add kalettes and cook a further 5 minutes.
3 Serve sausage stew with mash, garnished with herbs and extra chilli, if using.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 14g
Make it gluten free: Check sausages, paprika and stock are gluten free.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us