Split pea kumara chowder
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup green or yellow split peas
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled. grated
- 250g orange kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, diced
- 400g canned corn sweetcornXkernels, drained, rinsed
- 3 cups fresh watercress
- 3 cups salt-reduced liquid chicken stock
- 2 cups skim milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper, to season
- 2 teaspoons Tamari soy sauce, to season
1 Rinse split peas until water runs clear. Drain. Place in a large saucepan with all the vegetables except corn and watercress. Cover with stock and milk. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and leave uncovered to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
2 Stir though corn and return to the boil. Remove from heat. Add pepper and Tamari soy sauce to taste.
3 Ladle into deep soup bowls and add a large handful of roughly chopped watercress just before serving.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock.
- Add smoked paprika to the soup at the end when adjusting the seasoning (check gluten-free if appropriate). Or try different milks or adjust the stock to milk ratio.
- Make it vegetarian: Use vegetable stock and a herb bouquet (tie together rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, parsley stalks with string and cook with the vegetables). Remove the herb bouquet at the end.
This recipe freezes well.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.