Stir-fried udon with pork and veges
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, seeds removed, sliced
- 200g snow peas
- 400g shelf-fresh udon noodles
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 400g pork mince
- 5 spring onions, sliced, greens and whites separated
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 1/4 cup reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add cabbage, capsicum and snow peas and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender. Remove from pan and place in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, place noodles and cover with boiling water. Leave for 1 minute, stir to loosen noodles then drain. Add noodles to bowl with vegetables and stir through sesame oil.
- In the pan you cooked the veges in, heat remaining vegetable oil and add pork mince. Cook for 2 minutes, breaking up with tongs as it cooks. Add white spring onion and ginger.
- Transfer the noodle mix to the pan, add soy sauce and mirin and stir to coat.
- Remove from heat and stir through the green spring onion and spinach.
- To serve, divide among 4 dishes and garnish with sesame seeds and pickled ginger.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 19g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 5g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free noodles and check soy sauce, mirin and sriracha (if using) are gluten free.
Tweak the taste: Add 1 finely chopped fresh chilli with ginger and a drizzle of sriracha sauce over the dish just before serving. Swap out the pork mince for sliced shiitake mushrooms for a classy vegetarian dish, or simply add shiitake mushrooms to the existing recipe for some grown-up goodness.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us