Stir-fried udon with pork and veges
(at time of publication)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, seeds removed, sliced
- 200g snow peas
- 400g shelf-fresh udon noodles
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 400g pork mince
- 5 spring onions, sliced, greens and whites separated
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- ¼ cup reduced-salt soy sauce
- ¼ cup mirin
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add cabbage, capsicum and snow peas and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender. Remove from pan and place in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, place noodles and cover with boiling water. Leave for 1 minute, stir to loosen noodles then drain. Add noodles to bowl with vegetables and stir through sesame oil.
- In the pan you cooked the veges in, heat remaining vegetable oil and add pork mince. Cook for 2 minutes, breaking up with tongs as it cooks. Add white spring onion and ginger.
- Transfer the noodle mix to the pan, add soy sauce and mirin and stir to coat.
- Remove from heat and stir through the green spring onion and spinach.
- To serve, divide among 4 dishes and garnish with sesame seeds and pickled ginger.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free noodles and check soy sauce, mirin and sriracha (if using) are gluten free.
Tweak the taste: Add 1 finely chopped fresh chilli with ginger and a drizzle of sriracha sauce over the dish just before serving. Swap out the pork mince for sliced shiitake mushrooms for a classy vegetarian dish, or simply add shiitake mushrooms to the existing recipe for some grown-up goodness.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 19g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us