Teriyaki beef stir-fry with rice
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon sake or white wine
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 400g lean rump steak, thinly sliced (see Tip)
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled, finely sliced
- 200g green beans, trimmed, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, sliced
- ¼ small red cabbage, trimmed, shredded
- 2 cups steamed basmati rice, to serve
1 Combine soy sauce, mirin and sake in a small bowl; set aside.
2 Heat half the peanut oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add steak in two batches and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until golden. Remove beef; set aside.
3 Return wok to high heat. Sauté onion in remaining peanut oil for 2 minutes. Add carrot and ginger; stir-fry until fragrant. Add beans and asparagus with 2 tablespoons water; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add cabbage and stir-fry for 1 minute, or until veges are just tender.
4 Return reserved beef to wok with reserved sauce and stir-fry for 1–2 minutes, or until sauce is hot. Serve stir-fry with steamed rice immediately.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce and check mirin is gluten free.
Have no mirin? Use 1 teaspoon of sugar instead.
Slice beef against the grain for maximum tenderness, or use pre-cut beef stir-fry strips.
You may find this article helpful:
More delicious beef teriyaki dishes:
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.