Teriyaki beef stir-fry with rice
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon sake or white wine
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 400g lean rump steak, thinly sliced (see Tip)
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled, finely sliced
- 200g green beans, trimmed, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, sliced
- ¼ small red cabbage, trimmed, shredded
- 2 cups steamed basmati rice, to serve
1 Combine soy sauce, mirin and sake in a small bowl; set aside.
2 Heat half the peanut oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add steak in two batches and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until golden. Remove beef; set aside.
3 Return wok to high heat. Sauté onion in remaining peanut oil for 2 minutes. Add carrot and ginger; stir-fry until fragrant. Add beans and asparagus with 2 tablespoons water; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add cabbage and stir-fry for 1 minute, or until veges are just tender.
4 Return reserved beef to wok with reserved sauce and stir-fry for 1–2 minutes, or until sauce is hot. Serve stir-fry with steamed rice immediately.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce and check mirin is gluten free.
Have no mirin? Use 1 teaspoon of sugar instead.
Slice beef against the grain for maximum tenderness, or use pre-cut beef stir-fry strips.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us