Thai-style squid with vegetables
(at time of publication)
- 3-4 squid tubes (about 325g)
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, quartered, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 red dried red chilli, deseeded, sliced (optional)
- 3 cups broccoli florets or asparagus (5cm lengths)
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded, quartered, sliced
- 1 ½ cups button mushrooms, halved
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice
- fresh coriandercilantroX or spring onion, to garnish
1 Halve squid tubes lengthwise, trim and discard the remaining cartilage. Lay each half flat on a board with the inside facing up, and with a sharp knife, score the surface into 1cm diamond shapes. Cut into 2cm x 4cm rectangles. Place in a bowl and toss with sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Leave to stand while you prepare vegetables and the remaining ingredients.
2 Place fish and oyster sauces, sugar and coriander in a small bowl. Heat oil in a large wok or frying pan. Add onion, curry paste and chilli (if using). Stir for about 1 minute then add broccoli (or asparagus), capsicum and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is barely tender.
3 Add squid and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, then add the sauce mixture. Toss and remove from heat. Try not to overcook squid or it will become chewy and tough.
4 Serve immediately over jasmine rice, garnished with extra chopped coriander or spring onions.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce and curry paste.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us