Tuscan-style chicken baked with tomatoes and olives
(at time of publication)
- 4 teaspoons olive or other oil
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 500g total)
- 1 medium onion, peeled, quartered, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled,chopped
- 1 medium red capsicum, deseeded, quartered, sliced
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons basil pesto or 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add chicken breasts and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan and arrange pieces ‘good’ side up in a single layer over the bottom of a large (non-stick, oil-sprayed) casserole dish.
2 Return pan to heat then stir in onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened. Add capsicum. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 more minutes then add the next four ingredients and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
3 Pour the sauce over chicken and sprinkle with parmesan. Transfer to oven and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes. Serve over pasta with a side salad or vegetables and perhaps some crusty bread. Garnish with extra fresh basil if preferred.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pesto.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us