- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 lemon, zest and juice, plus 1 extra lemon, quartered
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup fresh oregano or marjoram
- 1 whole chicken, size 20, skinned
- 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme, broken in half
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup liquid reduced-salt chicken stock made using
- 2 teaspoons salt-reduced stock powder
- ¼ cup olives, halved (optional)
- 500g potatoes mashed with skim milk, to serve
1 Preheat slow cooker and turn to low. To make marinade paste, place oil, garlic, paste, lemon zest and juice, chilli, paprika and oregano in a blender and process until smooth. Season.
2 Rinse out chicken and place lemon wedges and thyme inside the cavity. Secure filled chicken with a skewer.
3 Pat paste all over chicken and place in a slow cooker with vegetables, wine and stock. Cook for 6 1/2–7 1/2 hours, adding olives (if using) for the final hour.
4 Serve with mashed potatoes sprinkled with fresh parsley if preferred.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free tomato paste and stock, and check paprika is gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 21g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like