- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 lemon, zest and juice, plus 1 extra lemon, quartered
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup fresh oregano or marjoram
- 1 whole chicken, size 20, skinned
- 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme, broken in half
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup liquid reduced-salt chicken stock made using
- 2 teaspoons salt-reduced stock powder
- ¼ cup olives, halved (optional)
- 500g potatoes mashed with trim milk, to serve
1 Preheat slow cooker and turn to low. To make marinade paste, place oil, garlic, paste, lemon zest and juice, chilli, paprika and oregano in a blender and process until smooth. Season.
2 Rinse out chicken and place lemon wedges and thyme inside the cavity. Secure filled chicken with a skewer.
3 Pat paste all over chicken and place in a slow cooker with vegetables, wine and stock. Cook for 6 1/2–7 1/2 hours, adding olives (if using) for the final hour.
4 Serve with mashed potatoes sprinkled with fresh parsley if preferred.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 21g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 5g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free tomato paste and stock, and check paprika is gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us