Vegetarian san choy baoReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 400g button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 400g can no-added-salt lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or purée
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 100g rice noodles
- 12 iceberg lettuce leaves (see tip)
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced, to serve
- 1 long red chilli, finely sliced, to serve
1 Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-low heat. Gently fry mushrooms for 4-5 minutes, or until just cooked through and quantity reduces by half. Add lentils.
2 Make a stir-fry sauce by combining soy sauce, fish sauce, ginger and garlic (you can add a little water). Add to lentil and mushroom mix and cook, stirring, until just heated through.
3 Meanwhile, cook rice noodles according to packet instructions. Drain and cut into short lengths.
4 Divide the rice noodles among the lettuce cups. Top with lentil and mushroom mix. Garnish with sliced spring onions and chilli.
Make it gluten free: Check soy and fish sauces are gluten free.
You’ll need 1 small or 1/2 large lettuce to get 12 leaves. Cut some of the larger leaves in half to make them more uniform in size.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information