Warm roast pumpkin and bulgar wheat salad with maple-glazed pork
Time to make: 45 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 800g pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red capsicum, sliced into long strips
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1 cup dried bulgar wheat
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup flour
- 480g lean pork steaks
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 130g bag baby spinach
- ground black pepper
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 13g
1 Preheat oven to 200°C fan bake. Toss pumpkin in 1 tablespoon olive oil in a roasting dish and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Add capsicum and onions and bake for a further 10 minutes. Meanwhile prepare bulgar wheat according to instructions.
2 Mix balsamic and 1 tablespoon of the maple/honey together and pour on to the roasted vegetables. Toss well and bake for a further 5 minutes, remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
3 Meanwhile, heat a frying pan on a high heat with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Flour pork and cook until browned and cooked through. Add remaining1 tablespoon maple syrup and 1/3 cup of hot water to the pork and cook until it is glazed and sticky. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4 Place spinach leaves, roasted vegetables and bulgar wheat into a large bowl and toss together gently. Season with plenty of cracked pepper and serve alongside the pork.
- Make it gluten free: Use buckwheat or quinoa instead of bulgar wheat.
- Make it low FODMAP: Replace onion with green part of spring onion and bulgar wheat with quinoa. Use maple syrup instead of honey.