Warm roast pumpkin and bulgar wheat salad with maple-glazed pork
(at time of publication)
- 800g pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red capsicum, sliced into long strips
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1 cup dried bulgar wheat
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup flour
- 480g lean pork steaks
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 130g bag baby spinach
- ground black pepper
1 Preheat oven to 200°C fan bake. Toss pumpkin in 1 tablespoon olive oil in a roasting dish and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Add capsicum and onions and bake for a further 10 minutes. Meanwhile prepare bulgar wheat according to instructions.
2 Mix balsamic and 1 tablespoon of the maple/honey together and pour on to the roasted vegetables. Toss well and bake for a further 5 minutes, remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
3 Meanwhile, heat a frying pan on a high heat with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Flour pork and cook until browned and cooked through. Add remaining1 tablespoon maple syrup and 1/3 cup of hot water to the pork and cook until it is glazed and sticky. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4 Place spinach leaves, roasted vegetables and bulgar wheat into a large bowl and toss together gently. Season with plenty of cracked pepper and serve alongside the pork.
- Make it gluten free: Use buckwheat or quinoa instead of bulgar wheat.
- Make it low FODMAP: Replace onion with green part of spring onion and bulgar wheat with quinoa. Use maple syrup instead of honey.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.