Beef pot pies with celeriac mash
(at time of publication)
- oil spray
- 600g beef blade (or chuck) steak, fat trimmed, cut in 3cm-pieces
- 6 shallots, peeled, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 large red capsicum, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup liquid salt-reduced beef stock
- 300g piece butternut squash, peeled, chopped
- 1 medium-sized celeriac bulb, trimmed, peeled, chopped
- 1 large desiree potato, peeled, chopped
- ⅓ cup trim milk
- 30g reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 cups steamed green vegetables
1 Spray a large saucepan with oil and place over a medium-high heat. Cook beef in batches until browned all over. Transfer to a bowl.
2 Reheat same pan over a medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until shallots are golden. Return beef and juices to pan and add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add capsicum, tomato paste, stock and 1 cup water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Add squash and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until beef is tender andsauce has thickened.
3 Meanwhile, place celeriac and potato in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-high. Boil uncovered for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Mash celeriac mixture, stir in milk and season with pepper.
4 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Spoon beef mixture into a 4 x 1 1/4 cup-capacity ovenproof bowls. Spoon over celeriac topping. Sprinkle cheese over top. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Stand for 5 minutes then serve with vegetables.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 9g
- If you can’t find celeriac, make a kumara mash or a parsnip/potato mash.
- Make it vegetarian: Replace meat with 2 x 400g cans drained, rinsed kidney beans. Add with ingredients in step 2.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us