Beef pot pies with celeriac mash
- spray oil
- 600g beef blade (or chuck) steak, fat trimmed, cut in 3cm-pieces
- 6 shallots, peeled, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 large red capsicum, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup liquid salt-reduced beef stock
- 300g piece butternut squash, peeled, chopped
- 1 medium-sized celeriac bulb, trimmed, peeled, chopped
- 1 large desiree potato, peeled, chopped
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- 30g reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 cups steamed green vegetables
1 Spray a large saucepan with oil and place over a medium-high heat. Cook beef in batches until browned all over. Transfer to a bowl.
2 Reheat same pan over a medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until shallots are golden. Return beef and juices to pan and add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add capsicum, tomato paste, stock and 1 cup water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Add squash and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until beef is tender andsauce has thickened.
3 Meanwhile, place celeriac and potato in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-high. Boil uncovered for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Mash celeriac mixture, stir in milk and season with pepper.
4 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Spoon beef mixture into a 4 x 1 1/4 cup-capacity ovenproof bowls. Spoon over celeriac topping. Sprinkle cheese over top. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Stand for 5 minutes then serve with vegetables.
- If you can’t find celeriac, make a kumara mash or a parsnip/potato mash.
- Make it vegetarian: Replace meat with 2 x 400g cans drained, rinsed kidney beans. Add with ingredients in step 2.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like