Cauliflower bake with cheesy topping
(at time of publication)
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX in springwater, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh thyme
- spray oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups baby kale or spinach leaves
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¹/³ cup grated Noble cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- black pepper, to season
- 3 cups green salad leaves, to serve
- 1 tablespoon vinaigrette (optional, see tips)
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. In a baking dish, place cauliflower, half of the red onion and the chickpeas. Sprinkle with cumin and half of the thyme and place in the oven.
2 Spray a pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Add remaining onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add kale and stir to combine.
3 Remove cauliflower from oven and pour over tomato mixture. Stir to combine. In a small bowl, combine egg and cheddar with a fork. Pour this mixture over cauliflower in the dish. Sprinkle over remaining thyme and parmesan. Season with pepper. Return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes more, until browned on top.
4 Serve bake with green salad and vinaigrette, if using.
Make it gluten free: Check ground cumin is gluten free.
Make it vegan: Replace cheddar with vegan cheddar and parmesan with vegan parmesan. Omit egg or replace with ¹/³ cup of soft silken tofu blended with vegan cheddar and up to ¼ cup water.
Make vinaigrette with 2 parts lemon juice or balsamic vinegar to 1 part olive oil.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 24g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.