Cauliflower macaroni cheese
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets, leaves reserved, any thick stems halved lengthways
- 1½ cups macaroni or other short pasta
- 2 tablespoons low-fat spread
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 tablespoons plain flourall purpose flourX
- 2½ cups trim milk
- 2 teaspoon English mustard
- ½ cup reduced-fat mature cheddar, grated
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ cup camembert-style soft cheese, sliced
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Cook the cauliflower in boiling water for 8 min until tender. Drain.
2 Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions until just al dente, then drain and set aside. Heat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5.
3 At the same time, melt the spread with the garlic in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the flour and mix to a paste. Cook for 2 min until golden, then slowly add the milk, a splash at a time, whisking constantly. Simmer for about 5 min until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in the mustard, cheddar and nutmeg with a good pinch of pepper. Add the cooked cauliflower and pasta to the sauce and mix well, then pour into a baking dish.
4 Poke the camembert slices into the top and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Bake for 20 min or until golden and bubbling.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 6.4g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.