Chicken chop suey
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 150g rice vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon garlic-flavoured oil
- 1 red capsicum, diced or sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into slices
- 1/2 head broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces (remember to use the stem as well)
- 1 1/2 cups green beans (fresh or frozen), sliced or left whole
- 500g chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup reduced-salt soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1/2 cup water
Total fat 8g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 5g
1 Place the vermicelli in a large bowl and cover with boiling water; soak for around 5 minutes until expanded, then drain and set aside.
2 Heat oil in large, heavy- bottomed pan, add pepper, carrot and broccoli and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Add chopped chicken and ginger and stir-fry over medium heat until chicken is cooked.
3 Cut vermicelli up a little; add to the chicken together with the soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, water and beans. Bring to the boil and simmer for a further 5 minutes — more water can be added if needed.
- Replace chicken with lean beef, lamb, pork or mince.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce and check sweet chilli sauce is gluten free.
Make garlic-flavoured oil by peeling and slicing garlic cloves, adding to a bottle of oil and allowing time to infuse. Remember not to use the garlic pieces in your cooking.
If you are on a low FODMAP diet choose a sweet chilli sauce that does not contain garlic or make your own.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us