Chicken curry with cardamom
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 4 fat cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 green chillies, whole but pierced
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom, or to taste
- 1 rounded teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 600g skinless chicken joints
- 1 rounded teaspoon cornflourcornstarchX
- handful fresh coriandercilantroX, chopped
1 Heat the oil in a non-stick pan (that has a lid). Add the onion and fry until well browned. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1–2 min until the garlic is cooked and starting to colour.
2 Add the chopped tomato, pierced chillies and ground spices. Sauté for a few min, then add a splash of water and cook for 6–7 min more until the oil begins to come out of the mixture, stirring more as it starts to dry up.
3 Add the chicken joints and sauté in the masala for a few min (it will start to stick to the base of the pan). Add 1 3/4 cups water and bring to the boil, then cover the pan and simmer until the chicken is cooked – it will take 25–35 minutes, depending on the size of the joints.
4 Stir a little cold water into the cornflour to make a paste, then stir this into the curry and cook for another few min. Add extra water to the pan if necessary – the sauce should be light and thin.
5 Stir in the chopped fresh coriander, then taste and adjust with more black pepper or cardamom as needed before serving with the naan breads, and your favourite vegetables or salad.
Make it gluten free: Swap the naan for cooked basmati rice.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15.2g
–Saturated fat 1.5g
Dietary fibre 3.4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information