Chorizo and bean cassoulet
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 chorizo, fresh or dried (or use good quality beef sausages for a non-spicy option)
- 1/2 bunch silver beet (or equivalent quantity of other green veg of your choice)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (approx 1 1/2 cups) haricot or cannellini beans (or equivalent quantity home-soaked beans)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup green beans
Total fat 12.8g
Saturated fat 5.9g
Dietary fibre 8.4g
1 If using fresh sausages or fresh chorizo, sauté thoroughly in a heavy-based pan till cooked, then slice longways and cut into smaller pieces.
2 Add the onion to the pan and sauté in the pan juices, with a little oil if necessary. Stir in the garlic. When the garlic is softened add tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika, herbs and haricot beans and simmer. If the chorizo is dried, slice it as described above and add it with the beans, simmer until softened.
3 Five minutes before serving, stir in the silver beet and green beans. If the mixture becomes a little dry then add a splash of stock or water.
4 Serve in a bowl with some crusty bread.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us