Crispy fish, mango and chilli saladReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 2 tablespoons cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- cracked black pepper
- 600g skinless firm white fish fillets
- 2 baby cos lettuces, leaves separated
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, stonepitXs removed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh herbs (eg, mint and coriandercilantroX)
- 1 tablespoon kecap manis (see tips)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
- lime cheeks or wedges, to garnish
1 In a large zip-lock bag, combine cornflour and chilli flakes and season with pepper. Add fish, seal bag and toss to coat, shaking off any excess cornflour.
2 In a large bowl, toss to combine lettuce, cucumber, onion, tomatoes, mango and herbs. In a small bowl, combine kecap manis, lime juice and chilli. Set aside.
3 In a large non-stick frying pan, heat oil over medium-high. Cook fish for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
4 Divide salad among 4 plates. Top with crispy fish and drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately with lime to squeeze, on the side.
Make it gluten free: Check cornflour and kecap manis are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use vegan fish alternative and check kecap manis is vegan.
Make it low FODMAP: Use sliced spring onion (green tips only) rather than red onion and fresh oranges instead of mango.
Kecap manis is Indonesian sweet soy sauce, found in supermarkets with other soy sauces.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information