Gado gado salad (vegetables with peanut sauce)Reviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- Peanut sauce (makes 1 ½ cups)
- ½ teaspoon tamarind paste or 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup boiling water
- 100g roasted peanuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced chilli (or 1 small red chilli)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- Vegetable platter
- lettuce or spinach
- 500g cooked waxy or new potatoes, cubed or sliced
- 1 ½ cups cooked green beans or snake beans
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded, sliced
- 1-2 cups thinly sliced cabbage or Chinese cabbage
- 100g (1 cup) beansprouts
- 100g cooked tofu, cubed or sliced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, quartered or sliced
- chopped fresh basil or fresh coriandercilantroX (optional)
1 To make sauce, blend tamarind paste and boiling water in a small bowl. Leave to stand for 2-3 minutes. Use a stick blender or food processor to briefly process the remaining sauce ingredients then add tamarind water through a strainer, discarding any tamarind pulp. Process again to make a fairly smooth paste.
2 Transfer sauce to a microwave-proof bowl (or pot) and heat to boiling for 2-3 minutes or until sauce has thickened to desired ‘gravy’ consistency. Set aside to cool (a little) while preparing vegetables.
3 To make vegetable platter, cover a platter (or individual plates) with a layer of lettuce or spinach leaves. Arrange potatoes then other vegetables, tofu and eggs in piles over lettuce, finishing with a sprinkling of fresh herbs (if using). Either cover salad generously with peanut sauce or serve peanut sauce on the side so diners can help themselves.
- For a meaty version, serve with skewers of grilled chicken, lamb or beef on the side.
- Grill extra tofu cubes on skewers to add protein to a vegetarian meal.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce and check tamarind paste, minced chilli and tofu are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 21g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information