Wasabi ginger beef and sushi salad
(at time of publication)
- 500g lean beef rump steak, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon wasabi paste
- 2 teaspoons rice bran oil
- 2 x 250g packets microwaveable brown rice
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 1 small ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, cut in matchsticks
- 1 ½ cups bean sprouts
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- ¼ cup pickled ginger, drained, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
1 With a pastry brush (or the back of a spoon) brush both sides of beef with wasabi paste. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan set over a medium-high heat. Cook beef for 3-4 minutes each side or until done to your liking. Remove beef from pan, cover to keep warm and leave to rest for 5 minutes. Cut in thin slices.
2 Meanwhile, cook rice following packet directions then transfer to a large salad bowl. Add cucumber, avocado, carrots, bean sprouts, spring onions and ginger. Toss to combine.
3 Whisk dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Add to salad and toss to combine. Top sushi salad with beef slices and serve.
Sprinkle salad with 1/2 sheet finely shredded toasted seaweed (nori) or 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds.
- Make it low FODMAP: Use 1/2 avocado and green parts of spring onions only.
- Make it gluten free: Check wasabi and tamari are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.