Ginger steak with lemongrass slaw toppingReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 4 x 120g lean beef steaks
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, smashed, finely chopped
- Slaw topping
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup fresh coriandercilantroX, chopped
- 1 apple, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons ciderhard ciderX vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 100g rice noodles
- 3 cups Asian greens, shredded
- 2 spring onions, sliced
1 Place steaks in a dish and toss with ginger, garlic and half the lemongrass. Set aside. Mix slaw ingredients together with remaining lemongrass.
2 Place noodles in a bowl and pour over boiling water. Leave for a few minutes, drain and add greens and onions. Toss lightly.
3 Heat a non-stick pan for a few minutes and cook steaks to your liking (see tip). Rest cooked steaks for 5 minutes.
4 Slice steaks and serve with some slaw on top and the remainder on the side with noodles.
Step by step: Cooking the perfect steak
Step 1 Bring steak to room temperature. Heat a pan or barbecue until hot.
Step 2 Spray steak with oil, then cook on a high heat. Season with pepper while one side is cooking. Cook each side to your liking, turning once with tongs.
Step 3 Turn steak on its side to seal sides.
Cooking guidelines (for a steak 4cm in thickness):
- For a rare steak, cook each side for 1 1/2 minutes
- For a medium steak, cook each side for 2 1/2–3 minutes
Once cooked, rest steak for 5 minutes before serving so juices are reabsorbed.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information